What Am I Good At? (Prompt Darby Picked For Me)

 What Am I Good At?

          The Cambridge Dictionary defines the word good as "of high quality or level," among other things, and I believe that many aspects of my life fit that description. Firstly, I think I am "good" at wilderness survival and scouting in general. I think I am a "good" reader. I also think that I am a "good" leader.

           Throughout my 9, almost 10 years of my scouting journey, I have learned many skills, including knot tying, fire starting, shelter building, cooking, packing, hiking, swimming, boating, fishing, trapping, and scavenging. All of these skills would and have helped me when stranded in the wilderness. Last summer, I went on a high-adventure trip with a few members of my BSA troop up to Ely, MN, and we canoed in the wilderness for 6 days with no communication or access to the outside world. During this trip, I used every single one of the skills I listed above and more because I needed to. This adventure was one of the most enjoyable experiences I have ever had, but it could have ended extremely differently without the 8 years of preparation I had before it. Although it wasn't an easy trip, it was very doable and over fun because of the elation I felt being able to care for myself in the wilderness.

        Another thing I think I am good at is leadership. In the past 2 years, I have joined my troop's youth leadership and over time moved up the ranks and am currently my troop's assistant senior patrol leader, the second highest position available. I felt my leadership skills strengthen a lot during my high-adventure trip and also during my recent National Youth Leadership Training campout (NYLT). I often exersize my leadership skills in campouts, and so I think I am proficient in it.

        Lastly, I think I am "good" at reading. I go through phases throughout the year in which I obsessively read everything and anything I can get my hands on. Although lately I have not been able to read much, I still feel I can read extremely well, and some of the books I read are of a high level, such as Ringworld. I also read really fast compared to others I have met, so overall I think I can be considered "good" at reading, though that definition is very subjective.

References:
Network, The Learning. “300 Questions and Images to Inspire Argument Writing.” The New York Times, 1 Feb. 2021, www.nytimes.com/2021/02/01/learning/300-questions-and-images-to-inspire-argument-writing.html.

Special Thanks:
Darby: Picked out the prompt

Comments

  1. I didn't give much thought to the idea of recounting the activities that I truly think I am good at, but this blog turned out to be pretty interesting. Thanks for sharing more about yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never truly thought about what I'm good at. And I think this post is very interesting and valuable for people to read if they want to learn more about you! Great work.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment