Does Class Size Matter?

 

Does Class Size Matter?

 
            The question of class size is one on which many Uni students likely have an opinion, seeing how many of us moved from a large public school to Uni where we have a mere 65 students per class. Personally, I completely believe that class size has a large effect on students' ability to learn material and get help if they don't. When there is a large class size, it is often more difficult for a student and teacher to really connect, which might hinder the kid. Apart from learning ability, class size also has a profound impact on the social net of the school, which we can clearly see in our school. Overall, I feel strongly that a smaller class size is far more beneficial to the students involved than a large class size could ever be.
            Compared to my old school in Mahomet, I have most definitely made more meaningful connections in Uni than I ever did in Mahomet, and I think a large reason for that is because of how much smaller the grade is. In Mahomet, my class size was somewhere around 250 kids, and I never met over half of them as our classes were split into two groups, orange and blue, because of how big our class was. I prefer the small class size of Uni as it allows me to meet and become friends with most people in the frosh class. "The benefits of smaller class sizes can impact students’ ability to connect with their peers, share their ideas and broaden their perspectives. With fewer students in each class, you have more opportunities to establish meaningful and long-lasting friendships" (Pace).
            There is also the learning effect of class size to consider. As the size of a class grows, the one teacher in the room has less and less time to interact with each student individually. This is not only confined to in-class though as if the teacher has more papers to grade then they will have less time to interact with students out of class, which can severely hinder the kids. "Smaller class sizes allow for more one-on-one interaction between student and teacher, and easier interaction among classmates. If a student needs extra help or attention, they can get it easily in a small class. And if your student has unique academic needs, a smaller class will almost certainly boost their performance at school" ("Class Size Matters"). If a student begins to fall behind the rest of the class, they should be able to ask the teacher to explain it to them better. However, a larger class size does not allow for that, simply leaving the student on their own.
            Overall, I believe that class size matters dramatically not only for the student but also for the teachers. In this blog, I only talked about the negative effects on students, but also, a larger class size leads to a lot more stress for the teacher as they have to teach a large group of rowdy kids and grade a lot more assignments. I am extremely happy that Uni only allows 65 kids per class because I think that if we had more, it would diminish the tight-knit community that we have now. I know others may have a different opinion on this topic; however, I would guess that a vast majority of students at Uni would agree with me.
            

Works Cited

“Class Size Matters – Research Shows | Virginia Academy.” Virginia-Academy.com, virginia-academy.com/class-size-matters-research-shows/.

Zach Pace. “Benefits of a Small Class Size in College.” Furman Blog, 15 Nov. 2023, www.furman.edu/blogs/benefits-of-a-small-class-size/.







Comments

  1. Great post! Coming from a smaller school, I thought our class size was a bit large at first, but I really think Uni has the perfect amount of students per grade. There are enough people where you aren't stuck with the same group everyday, but few enough that we all know each other pretty well. I completely agree with what you've said!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree with the majority of your points, Evan. I also came from a small school (about 30 students per class), but coming to Uni has honestly benefited my small school experience by making stronger social connections while still having variety as well. Your description of the benefits of a smaller class size (specifically around Uni’s class size) for not only students but teachers strongly add to your argument. Great job all around!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coming from an EVEN SMALLER class of 20 kids, I really appreciated this blog post (haha). Uni's class size of 60 is perfect because it allowed me to forge strong connections with everyone---including my teachers!!---while still choosing who I want to hang out with. In general, I think 60-100 is the perfect size.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with everyone's statement about how the Uni class size is the ideal class size. It is definitely easier to get to know everyone, but just like Layla said, you'll still be able to have your own close friend group. I also feel like I've been more involved in the community at Uni compared to Mahomet. Great blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As Layal said, I came from an EVEN SMALLER class than 60 people. And I agree, I think when you have a smaller class you gain stronger connections and can know your teachers better. But, sometimes it’s a struggle since everyone knows everybody's business.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a really good post! I came from a class of 14 kids and transitioning to Uni was certainly something. I agree with your points and you phrased your opinion really well :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. As many people have said, I agree with you. As someone who has only gone to small schools (my last school had 15 people in the whole 1-8th grades, and the one before that having around 100 in the whole k-8), I find the larger selection on people at Uni to be good, as you are more likely to make connections. I also think that your perspective as someone from a large class is compelling, as it seems that Uni has enough people to make connections, but few enough that those connections are meaningful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. as someone who went to a tiny school even compared to Uni, I found this essay to be very interesting. While I agree that a school with less people can be nice, I also think there are benefits to having larger class sizes. really good essay overall.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I went to a big school before Uni, and I do agree with you. I think having a smaller class is better, and compared to my old school, I feel like I can be a lot more comfortable.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment