Is Cheerleading a Sport?
I believe cheerleading is a sport. Cheerleading is a mental sport, and requires lots of physical power. Cheerleaders are athletes, they attend practices everyday, exercise, watch their diets to stay healthy, and perform at games. These are all aspects of other sports, so why isn’t cheerleading considered one? Well, many people argue that the “performing” aspect of cheerleading is what differs it from other sports. In an article discussing the reasons for why cheerleading isnt a sport the writer reasons that, “Sports teams exist to compete, not to perform and entertain or support another group that competes” (Roenigk). However, I don’t agree with that statement.
Cheerleading is often overlooked by people, mainly because of its peppy spirit. Several highschools and colleges have cheerleading teams, and you’re able to become D1 in it, yet many athletic associations still don’t consider it to be a sport. While cheerleading is commonly categorized as a support group for other sports such as football and basketball, there’s also competitive cheerleading, which separates this sport from that association. Competitive cheerleading involves difficult routines, which can end in injury. The risks of injury also support my belief that cheerleading can be categorized as a sport and an article from Time Magazine supports that by saying “Cheerleading, like most sports, carries an inherent risk for injury” (Greenspan).
Dutton, Peter. Hoya Cheerleaders. 25, March 2007.
Another stereotype that’s associated with cheerleading is the fact that it’s an activity where women can just stand there and “look pretty”. Many people argue that the uniforms cheerleaders wear support this opinion. Instead of viewing the way cheerleaders are dressed in a stereotypical way, thinking of it as a way to enhance the execution of the routine is more positive. The facts listed heavily support my belief that cheerleading is a sport, and I think it should be more commonly referred to as one.
Works Cited
Roenigk, Alyssa. “Sorry, cheerleading is not a sport.” espn. 14, June 2014, https://www.espn.com/espnw/news-commentary/story/_/id/11128302/espnw-former-college-cheerleader-says-sorry-cheerleading-not-sport
Greenspan, Rachel E. “Cheer Shows Competitive Cheerleading Is Almost as Dangerous as Football. So Why Isn’t It Officially Considered a Sport?” Time Magazine. 10, March 2020, https://time.com/5782136/cheer-netflix-cheerleading-dangers/
Higgins, Courtney. Hancsin, Abigail. McNally, Kadie. Matthews, Rebecca. “Why cheerleading is a sport.” Delaware Valley Regional High School. 3, February 2020, https://sno.dvrhs.org/3755/opinion/why-cheerleading-is-a-sport/

I like how you talked about the mental as well as physical aspects of cheerleading. A lot of people overlook how difficult sports can be mentally besides the physical effort. You supported your argument well and also responded to the arguments most people make about cheerleading and it not being a sport. I also like that you pointed out not only do the athletes have to complete the stunts, they have to remember the routine and compete against other teams. Really good work!
ReplyDeleteHi Catalina, I completely agree with this post! I think people have many stereotypes surrounding cheerleading and I think that you did a great job explaining why it is in fact… a real sport. I certainly didn’t realize how much goes into BEING a cheerleader. Both the physical and mental aspect of this sport. I know I would never be able to do it! :) Nice work!
ReplyDeleteI appreciate you drawing on the performance aspect of cheerleading being its main cause of scrutiny, because it relates to activities like dance or rythmic gymnastics who have also been denied the title of being a sport. This article both states cheerleading's case and gives awareness to many other sports that have been overlooked due to being too "girly"," "pretty," or performative. It's an ongoing debate that I believe is important and should be discussed more; thank you for writing about it!
ReplyDeleteI completely agree with this!! My little sister is on a cheer team, and having seen how rigorous and intense her training is, it's absurd to me that so many people wouldn't consider her and her teammates athletes. I have never really had any interest in cheer leading personally, but I have a lot of respect for cheerleaders, and I think it's great that you're talking about your opinion on this debate. Great post :D
ReplyDelete